Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Another rainy day

Today, I woke up to more rain. It almost feels like Boone it's rained so much here lately. So, I dressed as warmly as I could for my day today, and had my breakfast of cereal and the currants that I brought back yesterday. Petra came in a little later than usual from her morning walk with Alegra. Apparently, Alegra had gotten away from her and had found some yummy bit of leftover in the woods that someone had left, so Petra had to take off after her in the rain through the field. Petra was none too happy with Alegra, and was a little late for work as a result, but I still made it to the train on time. There was a group of middle schoolers on the train today, obviously on a field trip from the presence of ipods and the teacher's roll sheet, and it made me miss that part of my job (a bit--I can't imagine packing a whole class onto public transit, but it would certainly be an experience!)

Once at the library, we had a short meeting about the upcoming week, and then went to work. Junko shared a book with me today that is a wonderful fit for my project and has an annotated bibliography to boot, so I'm excited about that. I finished the social studies part of my unit, at least the rough draft, so I had some sense of accomplishment before lunch. Lunch today was a Mediterranean fish dish with olives and tomatoes. I posted a picture here so you can see the yummy lunch from today. (I'm hoping to get out to the patio at the library cafe tomorrow to post those pictures. The ducks have been very happy in the rain on the patio, though!)

After lunch, I read some more of one of the novels that I cannot take home from the library, probably over 100 pages of it. It's a remarkable book called In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer and the life story of this Polish woman is incredible. It is one that I highly recommend, if you're in the market for a good, but serious, read.

When I left the library, it was still raining, but I needed to get some close-toed dress shoes so that I could wear the skirts that I brought (since it's continually raining, the sandals just make my toes cold and wet.) So, Dr. Veltze and I went to a few shoe stores in Pasing to find some shoes, since she is in the same predicament. (I never thought I'd go shoe shopping with my professor, but I suppose Dr. Veltze was probably more fun than Rob might have been. ;)) I posted a picture of them here, mostly because there wasn't much else to take pictures of today. After finding the shoes, which are very comfortable, I went to the discount bakery, picked up a pretzel, and headed for the house.

When I got home, I ate the rest of the pretzel that I hadn't eaten on the train, and had a few more currants and a piece of chocolate for dinner. I also worked on my paper a bit more and have listened to NPR. It seems that this is becoming my daily routine, but it's been a nice way to wind down from the day. (And the rain limits the amount of walking that I want to do around town.) This weekend is our Salzburg trip, so I'm sure that I'll have more to post then.

No comments:

Post a Comment