Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Preparing to Leave Home

Today I finished up tying up the loose ends at school and am beginning to pack up my things for a month in Germany. I've been continually working on my outline for the paper and unit plan and have been reading most of the American literature and nonfiction works I can get my hands on that would be appropriate for my topic. I'm hoping that my time at the International Youth Library will be spent seeking out the information that I need to fill in the gaps in the science and math portions of the unit.

While I'm in Munich, I will stay with a host family, a mother and two teenage daughters (and a cat and dog:)). I'm looking forward to this more intimate perspective on the culture. I'll have my own room and bathroom, and will also have kitchen privileges. It will take me approximately 30 minutes to walk to the library from the house, and I'll have about a fifteen minute walk to the subway station.

There are several outings planned for our group, including a Mozart Dinner Concert during our time in Saltzburg, and a visit to Dachau. I also hope to visit Eagle's Nest and the Jewish Museum in Munich to help provide a greater context for my unit. I'm sure that during our time there, I'll find more places I'm interested in visiting outside of the library.

I'll post pictures here as I can during my trip. I'll also post a few pictures of my preparation (exciting pics of packing, laundry, the dog, etc.). More to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment