Monday, June 22, 2009

Yesterday in the English Gardens

Yesterday, I slept in a bit and met Mary in Pasing to pick up some breakfast at the discount bakery (yes, I can find a deal while traveling as well) before heading to meet the group in Marienplatz. I had a wonderful apple pastry and a coffee while we walked around the square, window shopping. (Since Bavaria is largely Catholic, many of the shops close on Sundays, including the grocery stores. Only the bakeries and restaurants are open on Sundays.)

At 12:00, we met the group at the golden statue in the middle of the square. When I take the walking tour one day, I'll hopefully find out more of the history of this area and how so much of the architecture was preserved during WWII.






When the group was gathered, we took the U-bahn (subway, not train) to the English Gardens, which are one of the largest park areas in the world. This area is larger than Central Park in NYC, and quite beautiful. There is live music on Sundays, which was wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We listened to the music at the Chinese tower while we ate lunch, which was in a large area served kind of cafeteria style, where you stood in a long line and made your selections at the counter(s) of your choice. Mary and I split up, she purchased drinks while I bought lunch, and it came out to be an even split. We had several types of sausage mixed with our potatoes (which was fantastic) and red cabbage cooked with apples, very similar to what I make at home, which was also tasty. I decided that some of you would probably like to see the food, so I'll begin posting pictures as space allows.

After leaving the English Gardens, a few of us went back to Marienplatz and toured the Botanical Gardens, an area which Mary, Amanda, and I visited on our first day, but several of the others had not seen. Then I made my way home, but just as the rain was coming. So, I schlepped my way through the rain from the train to the house, which is about a fifteen minute walk. Thankfully, I had both my raincoat and an umbrella. When I got home, I found that my jeans were soaked at the bottom, so I went ahead and put on my comfy cotton lounge pants. I have come to enjoy internet radio even more than I did at home, now that I am away. So, I sat for the rest of the evening in my comfy clothes, listened to NPR and the rain, and read a bit for my project and just for me. Overall, a wonderful Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment