Thursday, July 2, 2009

Another Beautiful Day

When I got up yesterday, it was beautiful once again, so after my shower, I put on a brown skirt with a green shirt. I thought I might be able to wear my sandals, but they just weren't as comfortable as my tennis shoes, so I put those on instead. I had my breakfast of toast and jam, but it wasn't enough to fill me up, so I stopped at the discount bakery when I got to Pasing. I found a yummy apple pastry that was made of puffed pastry and brushed with a glaze and nuts for .95 E. I arrived at the library a few minutes early, so I had time to enjoy the beautiful morning under the shade of the linden tree.

I forgot to mention in an earlier post the solar panels we saw on the way back from Salzburg. There were whole neighborhoods that had at least a portion of each roof covered in the panels. Ula, the landlady for Tiffany and Shea, said that by the end of next year, it is required for all homeowners in Bavaria to have solar panels, triple paned windows, and make an effort to reduce water usage. The government is not putting forth any money to fund this initiative, so I don't know what those individuals who cannot afford to make these changes will do. I have not yet done any research on my own on this current event topic, but will try to do so and share with you what I learn.

I spent the morning yesterday working on the science portion of my unit, weaving some of the Holocaust history into the sixth grade study of population dynamics. I also created a reflection and comparison activity where students could compare the science used during the Holocaust with some events today, as well as creating a forum for them to share their thoughts regarding the ethics of the history versus today's events. After spending a few hours working on that, it was time for lunch.

We ate outside again and enjoyed the views of the pond and the ducks. Junko joined us for lunch, so we had the chance to discuss some of the things she's written and hear a bit about her life story. Lunch was a lovely roasted chicken with a very yummy sauce and potato salad. Colleen didn't want any of her potato salad, so I had two portions. After lunch, we all went back to work in the library for the afternoon. I managed to finalize my science unit enough so that I only need to create a few rubrics for some of the activities.

After leaving the library, I stopped by the discount bakery again in Pasing to grab a snack, a pretzel. (I'll try to insert a picture of the bakery tomorrow since I've written so much about it.) I managed to catch the train with a minute to spare and rode back to Grafelfing. On my way back to the house, I stopped by the grocery store and picked up some crackers, cheese, bananas, and Nutella. (I have been getting a little tired of the jam with the toast in the morning and thought this would be a good alternative... and I can take home the leftovers.) Just after arriving home and greeting Alegra and the cat, the afternoon showers came, so I was glad that I'd come home when I did. After a light snack of cheese and a pretzel, I worked on my paper a bit more, listened to a few Radiolab podcasts (a production out of NYC through NPR), and called it a night at 11:15. All in all, a very nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment