Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fourth of July

I woke up around 7:00 this morning, but laid in the bed until about 7:30. Once I was up, showered, and dressed, I enjoyed my regular breakfast of Nutella on toast and a banana. After breakfast, I did a bit more reading for my paper and then took a little break to listen to the news and check email. After some more work on my paper, adding to the math unit, and a little break to chat with Benny online, I had 34 pages. Overall, my paper is pretty much done, it just needs some polishing and I need to tie up some loose ends with the handouts and rubrics for the unit itself. I also need to add a few more resources to the bibliography, but I should be able to get that done tomorrow evening and Monday morning early.

I got ready to leave the house around 4:00, but almost as soon as I closed the door behind me, the rain began to come. It rained for most of my walk to the train, and then abruptly stopped. Thankfully, I had my umbrella and rain coat, so I didn't get too wet. I stopped in Pasing to get a pretzel as a snack, but when I got to the bakery, I discovered that they were out of pretzels, so I settled for a peach filled doughnut instead. (I know, real bummer.) I hopped on a train at the Pasing station to go to Marienplatz, where I met the group for dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. (Not my first choice, but after working on the paper all day, I needed a social outlet.)

I arrived early, so we would be sure to have a table, not knowing how crowded it might be on a Saturday night. I ordered a hamburger with fries and an orange soda that was reminiscent of Fresca. Everyone seemed to have a good time and enjoy the live music, and it was fun getting to know our new colleague from the library, Tara, from Iran. She is primarily a translator, but she also teaches some language courses at her university, including Prussian. We left Hard Rock around 9:00 and took the trains our separate ways to get home, since we've got an early day tomorrow.

The walk home was beautiful as the sun set and the moon came out. It wasn't as dark as the picture here makes it seem and it was still dusk when I arrived back at the house. Petra and Petra were both here when I arrived, so I visited with them and played ball with Alegra some. They were watching boxing on TV, and it was kind of nice to watch something on TV that I could make sense of without having to understand all of the commentary, although I'm no boxing fan. But for now, I'm in my pajamas and ready for bed, knowing that tomorrow will be a long day in Augsburg, but a beautiful one.

1 comment:

  1. Your comment about the orange soda reminded me that Grandma said you should try to find a current flavored beverage - I think it's carbonated. She said it was wonderful and that you would like it since you liked the currents so much. Have you come across it yet? Time for a nap here - a cloudy and cool Sunday afternoon and your puppy is already sacked out on the sofa :)

    ReplyDelete